I always use Massel vegetable broth in all of my soups. But, this broth is so flavorful it is fantastic to add a touch of magic to sauces and gravies. I used their concentrated liquid vegetable stock in this recipe as it has such a magic flavor. You dilute it before using. Follow the directions on the pack. To make a basic cream sauce, blend Massel broth with steamed cauliflower and cashews.
Then, add any herbs and spices you like, and season to taste. To make a cheeze sauce, add nutritional yeast and lemon juice to taste. I also use it to make mushroom gravy. I will post that recipe next month.
The sauce in this potato bake is also fabulous with other vegetables like sweet potato, green beans, eggplant, and zucchini. As I type this, we're enjoying these scalloped potatoes with some steamed broccoli and carrots. We're about to binge watch some taped episodes of Graham Norton. I love that show!
I hope you all have a fantastic holiday season with your family and friends. Leave a comment below and tell me what you're making for Christmas. I'd love to try some of your recipes.
Recipes And How To MakeMaterials:
- 1/2 cup (70g) raw, unsalted cashews
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups (500g) diced yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (3 cloves)
- 1 teaspoon natural salt, plus more to taste
- 2 cups (480ml) Massel Concentrated Liquid Vegetable Broth
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast (savory yeast flakes), plus more to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, plus more to taste
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large head cauliflower, cut into florets and steamed
- 4 pounds yellow potatoes (10 medium potatoes), peeled and sliced into 1/8-inch rounds
- 1/2 cup (70g) toasted pine nuts
- 1/2 cup (24g) finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
How to make:
- Cover the raw cashews with boiled water, and allow to soak for 10 minutes, then drain. Discard the soaking liquid. Set the soaked cashews aside.
- To make the sauce, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a shallow saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and a pinch of salt, and sauté for about 10 minutes, until the onion is soft and translucent and starting to brown. Prepare your Massel liquid broth, per the instructions on the pack and to your preferred taste, Pour the broth, soaked cashews, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, thyme, onion mixture, pepper, and remaining salt into your blender, and blast on high for 30 to 60 seconds, until well combined. Add the cauliflower and blast on high for about 30 seconds more, until smooth and creamy. You may have to stop the machine, and scrape down the sides of the container.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C) and grease a 2-quart rectangular baking dish with olive oil.
- To make the bake, pour 1 cup of the sauce on the bottom of the dish. Lay 1/4 of the potatoes in the bottom of the baking dish in overlapping rows. Pour 1/4 of the sauce over the first layer of potatoes. Add a second layer of potatoes, and cover with 1/4 of the sauce. Repeat this process with the remaining potatoes and sauce two additional layers for a total of four layers.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for about 90 minutes, until the potatoes are cooked through.
- Sprinkle the pine nuts and parsley on top of the bake, and serve family style.
<< Read Also: The Benefits of Carrots And Super Easy Carrot Ginger Soup >>
Good luck, and enjoy your ...
Recipes by: healthyblenderrecipes.com